So is anyone interested?

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:24 AM
If so, followup here.
Thanks
Dec 5, 2007 at 10:29 PM
This is excellent work. I'm going to get a box running in the next night or two so I can see your code run and test its performance. I'm currently doing a lot of screen scraping with PHP on bungie's site, but if this is faster I'll switch. I'm working on a chart/stat site for Halo 3 called http://halocharts.com and this kind of thing is very interesting to me.

Firestream
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2007 at 12:30 AM
Sounds great. The penalty for performance comes from the HTTP requests to bungie's servers. Timing's havn't been generous as the number of concurrent requests are limited to 2 due to IE's HTTP settings. I am looking into using the Parallell FX CTP to process data using (P)LINQ, might have some effect.

btw, in the future, I'm going to use this within a WPF/Silverlight application to produce statistics.
Dec 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM
Yes, a silverlight app would be very very cool. I've got some Flash apps in the works that I should have out for my site in a week or 2. Let me know when you have some silverlight I can test.
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM
I'm pretty interested in the portablility of Silverlight XAML and WPF XAML plus you have something similar with Flex in your ecosystem.
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:15 PM
So do you have any guidance on how you are capturing the "Field Stats" for each gametype and storing them? I'm working on the Class Diagram right now to make sure I've got a design that will accomidate the gametypes and their specialized stats.
Feb 7, 2008 at 3:06 PM
I am not sure how you are storing your data, but have you been having any issues with guest accounts, and tracking the information related to them? I have a program that I have been working on similar to yours, and I ran into some issues with Guests not showing as unique gamertags. Something like this would happen:

Gamer
Gamer(G)
Gamer(G)

As opposed to what you normally see:

Gamer
Gamer(1)(G)
Gamer(2)(G)

It has been a while since I looked at your code, but are you pulling in any of the medal, weapon kills, or who you killed data?
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Bullfrog wrote:
I am not sure how you are storing your data, but have you been having any issues with guest accounts, and tracking the information related to them? I have a program that I have been working on similar to yours, and I ran into some issues with Guests not showing as unique gamertags. Something like this would happen:

Gamer
Gamer(G)
Gamer(G)

As opposed to what you normally see:

Gamer
Gamer(1)(G)
Gamer(2)(G)

It has been a while since I looked at your code, but are you pulling in any of the medal, weapon kills, or who you killed data?

What could be happening is the gamertag is too long, so it is being truncated and then the (G) is being appended. As of today, the aggregator doesn't use the name of the player when it is extracting data from a game, but the index in the HTML for the player. Now how do I persist that information, currently, I don't. I leave that up to the implementation.

My suggestion, have a generic "Unknown" gamertag and put all guests into that user. There is no need to track their data beyond the specific game as there are no trends for their results.
Good Luck.
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2008 at 2:02 PM
The way I have setup my database I am using the gamertag as part of the key so I need it to be unique. What I have done is as follows:

When I grab the first tab of information, (place, score, etc) as I add each gamertag I check to make sure it doesn't already exist. If it does (should only happen for guests) I added in a part that adds a (1) or more as needed (like (2) or (3)) to the end of the gamer tag. Also at that time I am storing the GTs in an array so that as I go to the other tabs I can use the gamertags from there for their unique value as opposed to making more roundtrips to the database.

I think the issue with guests is an error on bungie.net and how they process the information for display on the web, probably due to the fact that it isn't tied to a gamertag.
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Well, that's a problem. You might be in a corner with the current setup for your database keys, but you are not by any means without any solutions. You have some option and good luck in managing this.